On August 9, 1976, the Weld County Board of County Commissioners approved a resolution adopting the official seal of Weld County. The seal, designed by Dr. Robert B. Turner, represented the agricultural, industrial and educational wealth and resources of the county.
Dr. Turner’s design, which is used on all county material, includes illustrations of wheat, a sugar beet and a cow to represent Weld County’s rich agriculture heritage, an oil lamp to represent the county’s wealth, and a cog in the center to represent industry within the county.
The seal, along with a flag designed by David Rosentrater featuring that seal, was unveiled at the Centennial Center dedication on July 3, 1976.
To read more about Dr. Turner and the county seal, please click the link to the right for the PDF file titled “Robert Turner & Weld County seal” provided by the University of Northern Colorado Archives Department of the James A. Michener Library.
Born on August 30, 1928, in Buffalo, New York, Turner served in the United States Army during the Korean War era. He graduated from Buffalo State Teachers Art School and then taught art in Manlius, New York, for several years. He completed his master’s degree in Oregon and then continued his education to receive his Ph.D. Dr. Robert Turner was a professor of fine arts the University of Northern Colorado from 1972 to 1995, eventually becoming the Chairman of the Department of Fine Arts.